April 25, 2009

Busy weekend!

.
Cool statue!I took Dazzle to Lexington KY to watch the International Rolex Three-Day Eventing (Olympics caliber horse show.) The weather was beautiful! And thankfully they had "people movers" (shuttles pulled by 4 wheelers) to get from place to place. It was Dazzle's first time on this type of open air moving vehicle. At first he was not thrilled with the close quarters and movement, but then he felt the breeze and noticed all the cool stuff going by and decided it wasn't so bad.
.
We watched a bit of the Rolex dressage from outside the stadium, then watched some pony club teams doing games in an outside ring as a demo.
Look mom! Ponies!
Then we sat on a hill in the shade to eat the lunch I brought and to watch an Agility demo followed by a police dog demo. Dazzle DID get interested in watching the dogs running agility, but only if they were barking. If they didn't bark, he was more interested in his ball or the mulch or the grass or what I was eating. I don't think he even knew the police dog demo was going on because he was too busy laying in the cool grass chewing on sticks from the mulch bed. :-)
.
After lunch and the break in the shade, I checked out the vendors. They filled the indoor arena! There were also more outside and along the road to this arena.
No money to buy anything, but I did get a free pocket knife and a delicious sample of chocolate. Dazzle was fantastic and very well behaved by the time we got to the vendors. He had been pulling while I was walking prior to that, so I attached the leash to his harness and let him pull me. It helps take some of the effort out of walking, so it kept my legs from getting tired as fast and wore him out (so a win-win!)
.
After seeing the vendors, I was done for the day. So we rode the shuttle back to the parking lot. He had very little room because there were so many people trying to use the shuttle, so he ended up with most of his body in my lap. He still managed to stand on a lady's foot, but she said it was no problem as she moved her foot. :-) Dazzle was hot, so I think he enjoyed the breeze from the shuttle movement. He slept all the way home.
.
We also did some tracking practice this weekend with the KY tracking group. He ran 3 baby tracks today at the VOA park. His first track, he was very excited about the food, but got so excited that he ran it fast enough to leave a lot of the food behind! He was crabbing sideways because his back feet were trying to move faster than his front feet and nose :-) Short VIDEO clip here:
Because he left so much food on the track, I had the helper lay his second track right over the first. He did much better on this one. I also used a longer line so I wasn't "crowding" him- thank you Julie for that suggestion! I think it helped quite a bit. Short VIDEO here:
.
The third track was in a new spot and a bit longer. He almost did a handstand when he found the first piece of food! He was moving so fast that his nose and front feet stopped, but the rest of him didn't and both back feet actually came off the ground several inches. I should have added the sound of screeching tires to the video, but it's hard to see on the video because he's far away and facing the camera. He moved much more smoothly on this track, but I need to put more tension on the line and have him pull. That way later in the training when I don't know where the track is laid, his pulling will tell me he is on the track. Short VIDEO of track #3 is here:
.
After tracking, we visited Wigley Field dog park in West Chester with another person I met at tracking practice. It was the yellow lab, Sage, that Dazzle is smitten with on the video below.
Must have 2 toys at all times!
Dazzle had a BLAST and I'm glad I went back to the van for my cameras. I took the few photos above, but also several short videos I combined and put into one VIDEO and set to music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3slUpryGtg0