January 09, 2010

sledding and other photos


.
I hoped to be driving home today, but it was still snowing at 10am (we got an additional foot or so over night) and friends in Columbus said there were flurries there around 11am when I called and radar showed snow in most of Indiana and in Cincinnati.  So I'm staying put till tomorrow.  The sun actually did come out today! Yippee!  So I think tomorrow will be fine for driving.  No snow and all sun are the predictions for tomorrow in Ohio even though highs will be in the 20's.
.

I went back out today through the deep snow to get to the back hill with Dazzle where we tried sledding again.  He did GREAT!  At first, I was trying a flat and flexible sled but that didn't work.  So my mom attached some non-skid rubber to a different sled than the one we used a few days ago and it worked really well!  Dazzle was very comfortable in it.  I was able to get my dad to come out and get these photos and some video and he got Dazzle's longest run documented!  Dazzle took his Jolly Ball with him on the sled for that run so he had no reason to jump off near the bottom of the hill! :-)  I'll get the video edited and uploaded to youtube as soon as I can when I get home.
.


He had his ears back listening to me as he watched his ball to be sure it didn't move :-)
.
Dazzle was also juming up to catch the snow falling off the trees.  The first time was a HUGE amount of snow that started at the top of a big pine and brought more and more snow with it as it fell through the branches.  Dazzle had a blast jumping up and catching it as it all fell and then he was jumping up to get the "dust" (fine snow powder) that resulted.  I SO wish I had gotten it on video!  I did get a different snow fall on the video, but I'm not sure what I got since I haven't watched it yet.  I hope it was as funny as the first time! 
.
I took photos again of the snow on the truck, but believe it or not we actually had rain the other night!  It was well below freezing and raining!  I didn't think that was even possible.  It wasn't sleet either, it was a fine steady mist of rain for several hours that coated everything with ice and caused the existing snow to pack down even more.  So while we have gotten a lot more snow, it doesn't really look like it.  When I stuck the yard stick into the snow, I had to break through the ice layer and in the first photo below, I didn't realize I hadn't gotten it all the way through to the truck surface.






Measurement was taken near the antenna on the truck.  I'll be glad to get home.  I hear there's only a few inches of snow there :-)  Dazzle will probably be dissapointed.
.