March 29, 2009

marching

.
I just uploaded a new video I took this evening of a training session with Dazzle. I'm trying to teach him to lift his feet with mine to look like we are both marching. Right now, we're both stationary but I hope to eventually be able to do this moving. And maybe eventually get him to trot with a prance, but I think that might be a ways down the training road.
.
The video started out pretty dark, but I lightened it, so that's why it's a bit washed out. Disregard the junk in the background, it's my husband's old computer we just changed out and haven't moved yet.
.
In the last 2 training sessions, Dazzle has really seemed to catch on to what I wanted and I have dropped the use of hand targets. I noticed in the video that a few times he would lift a foot, look at my leg and change to the correct one. So it seems he has the understanding now that my leg lifts MEAN something :-) We've made a lot of progress!
.
He is still trying to swing in front of me. You'll see I eventually give up trying to get him back to my side and I'm the one to move into the proper position. :-) If I do that too much, we might be marching in a circle! Hmmm, that could be cute!!
.
Here's the video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zjjbsMWY_k
It's faster to load the videos to YouTube and it takes up less of my allowed space for the blog too! So I'll likely be doing all future videos that way. I have several other videos on YouTube. Some with Bear, some videos I liked that were made by other people, but mostly the videos of Dazzle I previously posted to this blog. Now you can easily find them in one place without having to search through the posts :-) You can see all the videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Scoutdogs I also added a "gadget" to the left that links directly to my videos.
.
I've been working with him on both sides of me. He seems to scoot out of position less when he's on the "heel" side.