June 13, 2009

Dog Fest!

.
Hot and tired Dazzle:


It's been awhile since I have posted! Dazzle has been on a bit of a break because I have been so busy. Last Saturday we had a troop river trip which was really nice and relaxing, but Dazzle didn't get to go. I wasn't able to get him in a kayak at camp and didn't want to HAVE to get him into one for the trip. So Buster got to go with me and LOVED his "alone" time with mom. Since he's 12 now and really slowing down, it was nice to be able to spend some quality time with him. If you want to see some video I took of the trip, just click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzgTyaSG1DU
.
Yesterday Dazzle went with me to set-up for Dog Fest. He had a GREAT time trying to chase the Kytes (I think it's how it's spelled), the low flying and fast birds that seem to like the wide open fields. He also tried to get everyone he met there to tug with him :-) The birds seemed to be teasing him on purpose! He started with just one bird and by the time he was ready to call it quits, there were 5 or 6 birds trying to get him to chase them. :-)
.
Today he accompanied me to the event. It's the largest outdoor event that is not a dog show this side of the Mississippi! About 10,000-15,000 people attend the two day event each year. He did REALLY well playing for the whole morning in the off-leash play yard with dogs of every shape, size, color and gender. There was one dog (northern breed of some sort) that probably shouldn't have been in the play yard who attacked Dazzle for no apparent reason. Dazzle was being very appropriate and submissive to him and he just went off. Then he growled at his human who was trying to control him. Thankfully Dazzle wasn't injured and seemed not to have any issues with the other dogs after that. He was a tad bit more cautious about initial greetings for a few dogs, but then relaxed.
.
I didn't take many photos, but I did shoot some video of the event. Only brief glimpses of Dazzle (who was busy playing with a dog behind me while I was filming the first part), but a nice "video tour" of the event.

Tour of the event
VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-FmrIKHC8
.
The event continues 11a-5p tomorrow and I'll take Dazzle back with me. He seemed to enjoy it and after a nap in the Dog Scout booth was ready to go back in the play yard. But I kept him with me in the afternoon so he didn't get tired and grumpy.