January 18, 2009

General updates...

.
Dazzle was left loose part of the night last night. On purpose, I put him in the crate when I went to bed as usual, but I didn't latch the crate. At some point during the night he figured that out and Mike said when he got up to go to the bathroom, Dazzle was laying in the doorway to the bedroom -closest to the cool air of the laundry room, but still able to see us. I'll try leaving him loose tonight again. He had a long day today so he should be tired.

.
I hosted a troop "badge day" at the house today, well yesterday actually (Saturday) since it's past midnight, and several people and dogs came over to work on earning Dog Scout badges. We were in the basement training room and Dazzle wasn't too keen on being left upstairs while I instructed. He did a lot of pacing, so that's why I figure he should be tired. :-)
.
His training and classes are going well. I have been working on a few freestyle moves and it boggles my mind how fast he learns things. He's also progressing really nicely on a trick I have worked on in bits and pieces- "hands up" in which he stands on his hind legs and balances with his front legs held up high. Eventually I'll couple it with "assume the position" or "against the wall" where he runs to the nearest wall and puts his paws up. LOL
.
On Friday I had a breakfast meeting followed by a regular meeting and Dazzle did fantastic! He settled in at the restaurant and even slept a bit while we talked and ate and then after a short drive, he again rested under the conference table after being a little antsy for a while. I thought this was exceptional for his age and the fact that we skipped our regular training session and went straight from the morning routine to the van for the 1st meeting where he needed to settle.
.
While the blog is about Dazzle, the other dogs are doing well too. Buster seems more energetic and playful since Dazzle arrived and they play and run a lot together. Often they go out in the yard by themselves (regardless of the weather) and chase each other or wrestle. the other day Buster came in COVERED in packed snow, so I know they were out there wrestling on the ground. :-) Bear also tollerates Dazzle pushing toys in his face and clubing him with a front paw and will even play back if he thinks no one is watching. :-) But he prefers to be up on a chair or couch or under the dining room table while he plays. Bear has gotten really attached to Mike and I often find him sleeping on his lap or in the bed if Mike takes a nap. Mike said there was only one time he threw a fit when I left the house without him, but I don't know why that one time set him off. Usually he sees me quietly out the door and then goes straight to Mike's lap. Coyote's eyes have gotten worse and the last few times I tried to take him anywhere he didn't want to get in the van. So I know he is happier staying home where he knows where everything is by sound/smell and limited sight. But I still take him and Bear to the training room from time to time to work on their skills. King is now the one who acts like the "elder" that no one messes with and he's still Mike's shadow.

.
I have photos of the troop party last weekend too that I'm not sure how I missed posting:
.
Here's most of the group, Dazzle is the back left side of the photo:
He really liked wrestling with several of the dogs, joined in chase games and played well with the toys/balls too.

Apparently we had several ball crazy dogs at the party and Greg is holding the toys! But I'm sure that a really cute caption could be added to this photo :-)


Tomorrow we will be at the CCDTC non-sanctioned obedience match. I entered 2 Nov. A classes. It's currently 1:15 AM as I'm editing this, so I better get to bed!