January 06, 2009

Just a quick update

.
I went to the first Show Prep (Advanced Obedience) class last night and Dazzle did really well. While we worked on really long stays, there was a person renting another ring that was using squeeky toys and Dazzle had a really hard time, but he stayed! He kept looking in their direction and looking at me as if to say "Can I go play mom? Can I? Huh? Huh?" It is a lot more practice time/action in this class and less time spent talking about what we're about to do in great detail like in the intermediate class.
.
Tonight's intermediate class was ok, but Dazzle seemed more distracted than usual. We again worked in the same ring as the beginner class where there was food all over the floor. He did MUCH better than the first time we were in that situation, but still some work needed for that distraction. His stand for exam was beautiful even though the instructor was hesitant as he approached and touched him. I was using a ball, tug toy and his raw food to keep his attention.
It's hard for him (& me) to stand around listening to the instructor and waiting for action.
.
This morning I worked on body handling and showing his "bite" for the conformation show this weekend. He's not thrilled with it, but tollerating it as long as it's worth treats. :-) I'm not spending a great deal of time on this because it's not something I plan to pursue, but it would be nice if it looked somewhat like I know what I'm doing in the ring even though I don't :-)
.
Lastly, I forgot to post this photo back when we were visiting family. Dazzle got a bit too close to the oven which melted and curled the ends of his whiskers on the right side. This was a really hard photo to get with a cheap digital camera!He doesn't seem to have any fear of getting close to intense heat because a week or so before getting that close to the oven when it was opened, he was carefully sniffing a 60 watt lightbulb that was on in a floor lamp and then he actually licked it! Ouch!