August 02, 2010

Cavaletti

.
I started working with Dazzle over Cavaletti Sunday.  I found that 7' spacing was most comfortable for him, so I have been gradually shortening the space between the jumps to teach him to "collect" (shorten) his stride at speed.  So far, we're down to 6' spacing.
.
I took video so I could slow it down to really see how he's doing.  I have found this to be a really good tool.  I just increased the quality of the video my camera takes, so hopefully future video will be less grainey.
.
VIDEO: Cavaletti at 6' 3" and at 6' spacing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nv8Vb_yo7U

The goal is to help him on the agility course. I don't think he has properly learned to collect and extend to get the correct take-off point.  Which means he's knocking down jump bars. 
.
I'm starting with the low cavaletti to teach him to collect and extend his stride.  Then I'll vary the distance within the line to really make him work.  Once he has that mastered, I'll start using jumps so I can raise the jump bar height and repeat the process.